Wednesday, October 24, 2012

roasted chestnuts

Roasted chestnuts are one of my favourite treats for the cold season, because they are slightly sweet and warm. The heat of the oven and the baking flavours fill up the kitchen until you finally get to peel them with your hands.


Buy a large handful of chestnuts for each person. Cut a cross on top of the chestnut using the point of a sharp knife. It will help to bake the chestnuts faster and peel it more easily later. Put them all on a baking tray in the middle of the oven. It takes about 15-20 minutes at 180°C until their skin "blossoms". Let cool down for a moment and peel with your hands.

1 comment:

  1. I love chestnuts too! :D

    I've never tried to bake them in the oven! I always bake them in a pan with a lid. After about 10 minutes (after they started sweating), I turn them around. :) :)

    I always just make one big cut, normally into the "front" of the chestnut. Sometimes they even get out of their shell by their own! :D I love when that happens. :)

    When I was younger, our family always went collecting chestnuts with friends. :) It was such a lovely tradition...

    ReplyDelete